Thursday, May 23, 2013

Countdown to Rolland Garros 2013!



“So many people are shut up tight inside themselves like boxes, yet they would open up, unfolding quite wonderfully, if only you were interested in them.” - S. Plath

The Nelly remix of Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise” makes me want to stab someone with an ice pick. Why infringe upon something so near perfection? The video is embarrassing. Literally makes me horrified to ever have endorsed that band. Gah. No reason at all for that to have crossed over to pop radio. If you’re that greedy, just kick up the bass a bit. You don’t need a rapper kicking the song repeatedly in the face. No.   

Gym A is less than five minutes from my house. I can roll out of bed at 5:15 and be dressed, caffeinated and on the floor by 6:00am, before I’m sufficiently awake to realize what’s happening and still retaining the sleepy optimism and detached excitement only a morning can inspire. But it’s populated by pernicious, self-important housewives who cast criticizing glances at you when they believe you otherwise engaged and gossip in the locker room and generally chisel away at my faith in humanity. Plus I’m just about the only single person in the entire facility.

Gym B is a regrettable twenty-five minute drive downtown, though literally three minutes from work. I require a total of thirty minutes in transit, and have to rise in sufficient time to avoid the morning commute traffic. Around eight o’clock, it literally becomes a ghost town. Everyone vanishes, and I’m one of the only folks on the entire floor, meaning I’m lonely and infused with the restless sense that I should be somewhere. But, it’s blissfully devoid of snotty housewives, and there’s a cute boy I enjoy encountering.

Le sigh. Will attempt, yet again, to rise in sufficient time to trek downtown tomorrow.

TWO DAYS UNTIL FRENCH OPEN 2013!!! Cannot. Wait.  Rafa will prevail.